I get asked this question often. “Can I use a JP to take care of my documents? JP’s don’t charge but notaries do?”

Notaries and JP’s perform similar functions in that they both witness documents, take oaths and verify copies of originals.

The rule of thumb however is that if the documents are for use outside of Australia then you need to use a notary.

As one of my colleagues once described, Notaries are “international JPs”.